- A description of a spatial phenomenon based using conventions
- Three key elements
- Title = intention and goal of the map
- Map with features and locations
- Legend / key
- Defining location + scale
- Defining the topic/ the goal of the map using the title
* Which geographical phenomenon is depicted on the map?
* Studying the title and the key
- Identifying the features
* Which feature for which information?
* Area / hatched / line / arrow / point?
- Looking for patterns or anomalies
* Locations + numbers